Friday, September 14, 2012

Cake pops - discuss...

Do you love or hate cake pops?  I'm asking you as both a baker and an eater...  I love the way they look, and do like eating them, but what a nuisance they are to make!  I have a lovely customer, who has been very kind and ordered from me quite a few times (thank you S) and likes cake pops.  And is very kind to like mine.  No, honestly!  I don't have a cake pop machine, so they aren't perfectly round.  And unlike my friend Katie, of Dainty Katie Cakes (aren't they just the most gorgeous things you have ever seen??!), I don't make cake pops often enough to become good at them.
Now, before you suggest the inevitable and tell me to make them more often, I don't have the desire to do so.  I know, that may sound lazy, but despite having both my gorgeous Mini's at school fulltime now, I do find that I can fill my days adequately without resorting to baking them just for practice.  Because, let's face it, Becca Towers does not need more calories! ha ha
Anyway, I digress.  The customer in question, S, wanted to give her colleagues a treat on her last day on placement with them, and felt cake pops were the way to go.
So, they're not bad to start with.  But after setting, and dunking in Candy Melts they don't look quite so round.  Still bright, colourful, tasty and fun - but not round.
 
Or covered particularly smoothly for that matter.  But the customer loved them, and that's what counts.  She even got a couple extra as a loyalty bonus (though they were ones that I deemed not good enough for sale).  Oh, and both Mini-1 and Mini-2 were impressed...
So took these messy monsters in to school the next day to share - anyone for cake balls?!  haha
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becca!
    I've made cake pops a couple of times - they are very time consuming... I think the trick is to get the consistency of the covering right so it's not too thick - just use a little at a time in a narrow but deep container. I also put my balls (and strawberry shapes) in the freezer for a while before dunking. Paper lolly sticks are also a must to stop them slipping off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Wendy. I too freeze the balls before dipping, but struggle to find the right consistency of candy melts. Would you recommend a cake pop maker? I've just been directed to one at Argos or Lakeland and they seem a sure thing...

      Delete

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)