Friday, March 30, 2012

Alcoholic cupcakes? Well, I never

One of the school mums knew I baked cakes, and had perhaps seen some of my work on here or our Facebook page and had a party planned for later on today.  She decided she'd quite like some mini cupcakes for nibbles for afterwards, and fancied them to be alcoholic.  No problem, I said, I'm sure that's easily done.  And quickly proceeded to research it.  Do people flavour the sponge?  Do you need extra alcohol for the flavour not to bake out?  Do you flavour the icing?  Do you need extra icing sugar to counteract the consistency of the icing once the extra liquid is added?  Do certain flavours work better in batter?  Icing?  So much to know...
Then Lisa told me she had some Champagne and some Amaretto and could I use those please?  So, one problem solved, ha ha.  In the end I went with the Amaretto, as it was a slightly more viscous liquid (and the bottle was already opened) and just used it in the icing. 
We thought Strawberry Swirl would be tastier than just Vanilla cupcakes, so here's the finished product...
And here are the non-alcoholic version for the pregnant party-goers and the children, with an Easter theme and chocolate buttercream icing.  Mmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)