Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chocolate moulding

My friend H had lent me her chocolate moulds, to make teddy, star, moon, duck, castle, Mickey Mouse and so on shapes out of chocolate or even candy melts.  I can't recall why, but on an earlier post she'd offered to and I took her up on that offer.  Then forgot about them for a fortnight or so, oops.  I recently got an order for a friend's daughter's 5th birthday cake and she wants roses on it.  I haven't yet made them out of sugar/flower paste (though I am booked on a course next month to learn), so treated myself to silicone moulds for them, and some cute heart moulds too.
Then last weekend while at the supermarket doing our weekly shop, I saw a little sachet of chocolate that you just put in warm water to melt then pour - I bought a white and milk version to try them out.  I know, I know, it's kind of cheating but hey, it would get the moulds tried out so I could return them to H sooner rather than later.
Here are the teddy and star in H's plastic mould, these turned out shinier (in white chocolate) than the roses and hearts from the silicone mould.  No idea why, perhaps something to do with the material...  A friendly fan on our Facebook page said he sprayed his with PME Glaze, which made them very shiny indeed.  So I think that may be my next purchase...
And on to the finished products.  You will see that I haven't quite got the getting-rid-of-all-the-air-bubbles technique down pat, but I'm trying.  And keen to practice with the yellow and green candy melts we have at home...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Heidi, They were fun to do! Just a little tricky to sort out the tiny air bubbles though. And the yellow and green candy melt ones set faster, so were trickier to get rid of air bubbles (and there were more of them). Trial and error I guess

    ReplyDelete

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)