Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Buttermilk and blueberries = ??

At Christmas-time, I hadn't been able to find any buttermilk on the supermarket shelves.  No idea why, I can't think particularly what people do with buttermilk specifically at that time of year (all advice gratefully received).  I wanted it to make Red Velvet cupcakes, as I had thought the bright red sponge would look lovely at that time of year - ah well.  So when I found some last week, I snapped it up without thinking.
And the blueberries?  Well, me and the Team are great fruit eaters, especially berries.  We love them!  So when we saw blueberries on special offer at our local Lidl store, we snapped up a few punnets - yummy.  Most were eaten as a snack, but there was one punnet left this morning, plus the buttermilk.  This brought to mind a recipe I had just snipped out of a magazine a few days ago, for, you guessed it - blueberry pancakes.
Now, pancakes and I have a very long and chequered history.  Longer, in fact, than Mr Becca and I - which is Very Long Indeed.  The first time I can recall trying (very unsuccessfully) to make them was for a friend I was trying to impress while on a weekend away in Phillip Island, Victoria.  (By the way, if you ever get the chance, you must see the Fairy Penguin parade on this Island, superb!  Can't wait to take the girls there...).  They were an abysmal failure and I remembered that for a long time.  So Betty Crocker and I became good friends, and so did pancakes and I.
Until today, with the confidence born of the general success of my Becca Bakes exploits, and the blind faith of my loving Mini-2.  We weighed out and mixed up the ingredients
Then carefully inspected all the blueberries before adding them to the mix and whisking gently.
I need to figure out how to get them all even and looking good, as the egg shape wasn't foolproof.
So there was quite a selection of shapes from which to choose your favourite, ha ha.
Still, when placed on a plate and drizzled with pure Canadian Maple Syrup, neither Mini-2
nor myself were complaining.  Mmmm, with morning tea this tasty - who needs lunch?
Especially when Mummy lets you lick the bowl at the end...


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)