Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pumpkin, in a cupcake?

You may have gathered by now that I'm not a born-and-bred Scot, but rather an honourary one by virtue of the amount of time we've lived here.  And in the land of milk and honey where I was raised (but interestingly, not born) I don't recall us ever eating pumpkin.  Certainly Halloween and Thanksgiving weren't celebrated.  Suffice it to say, I love butternut squash and so did the girls when younger.  I bought a lovely-looking one and then toyed with the idea of serving it to them with pasta, creme fraiche and herbs for dinner.  Or in cupcakes for afternoon tea.  Guess what won?
I found just the recipe I wanted in the first Hummingbird book, read it over, and got to work.  These were pretty much like vanilla cupcakes but with mashed pumpkin and cinnamon added, and buttercream icing.  As such they were really  moist (note to self, make them taller next time) and lasted well.  Or they would have, if they didn't get eaten so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have enjoyed reading this post, feel free to leave us a comment, and why not check out some of our other posts :)